Central London overfloweth with gorgeous, intelligent women with a thirst for murder. The Baker Street Babes: The Web's Only All Female Sherlock Holmes Podcast. Eat your heart out Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Tuesday 17 January 2012

Episode 18: The Reichenbach Fall




permalink

"It is with a heavy heart that I take up my pen to write these the last words in which I shall ever record the singular gifts by which my friend Sherlock Holmes was distinguised."

- The Final Problem


SPOILERS FOR THE REICHENBACH FALL!

On the 15th of January, 2011, we and upwards of 8million other people in the UK (and beyond) were staring at out television, tissues and wine in hand. It is the night of The Reichenbach Fall and The Final Problem. "My best friend, Sherlock Holmes, is dead..." a broken John Watson reveals to his therapist, and we start our emotional roller coaster of the Sherlock Series 2 finale.

Babes Curly, Ardy, Jenn, Turk, Amy, Maria, and Marie mull over Reichenbach. We console, we laugh, we theorize, and we declare our everlasting love for Molly Hooper. Why did Mycroft do what he did? Did Sherlock really believe he was going to die? We discuss so much and with such passion because this is the show that started off this podcast. So we discuss the brilliant directing and editing and performances, as well as the larger impact, and how we've all been hit by an emotional bus of crying and heartbreak.

How did he do it? Moriarty in Sherlock's clothes? Well places rubbish truck? Rhodedendrun a la Guy Ritchie? Magical unicorn? We discuss our theories, our hopes for The Empty House, and our continual heartbreak over this amazing piece of television.

In all seriousness, this is what acting and storytelling is about. Sherlock is the epitome of what television should be, what art should be. Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman, Andrew Scott, and everyone involved in this production deserve every award possible. Thank you Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat for an amazing series, and thank you Steve Thompson for Reichenbach.

2 comments:

  1. Another lovely podcast. Just finished my second viewing of The Fall, which due to stream problems went out right at the most important moment, and saw the actual fall. Wow. Tears flowed as John ran toward Sherlock saying 'I'm a doctor' then 'I am his friend'. It was so brilliantly done I was instantly reminded of a thought I had when I saw them laugh at Buckingham Palace in Scandal...I think someone said it on the podcast (I'll have to check my transcription), that it was so natural that one couldn't tell whether it was Sherlock and John or Benedict and Martin laughing. I absolutely teared up because Freeman was so amazing that I was fully convinced he had lost his best friend. They all deserve fucking BAFTAs (and Emmys as this is 100 times better than anything on American telly).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know that placing a small ball, say a black rubber bouncy ball, in your armpit will temporarily stop your pulse? It's a great trick to play on friends. Lay on the ground with the correct arm stretched out for your friend to check and soon they'll be sobbing uncontrollably at your untimely demise.

    ReplyDelete